Another year in the books. The Big Smoke America is now three years old and has published over 1,300 articles and essays. Here are the Top 10 from 2018.
The Big Smoke America launched on November 9th, 2015. Since then, we have published over 1,300 articles and essays tackling a range of topics and contributing to a number of debates and discussions.
We reviewed the traffic through both our website and social media and found our most popular articles. The issues discussed heavily in 2018 included gun violence, mass shootings, sexual education and consent, the #MeToo movement, politics, inequality, social change and activism, to name a few. You also like to laugh, appreciating articles that had humor and satire.
Here are the Top 10 most widely read and shared articles in 2018 listed from # 1 – 10.
1. Sean Davis
Also widely read by Sean Davis in 2018: I Love a Parade
2. Jonathan Benjamin-Alvarado, Ph.D.
3. DeMisty D. Bellinger
Also widely read by DeMisty D. Bellinger in 2018: Juneteenth: Now More Than Ever
4. Eve Connell
Also widely read by Eve Connell in 2018: On Taking Up Space
5. Ashley James
6. Katharine Coldiron
Also widely read by Katharine Coldiron in 2018: Stop Insisting on James Gunn’s Reinstatement
7. Jesse Valencia
Also widely read by Jesse Valencia in 2018: The Past Dictates the Future: Where a Twin Peaks Season 4 Could Go
8. S.M. Park
Also widely read by S.M. Park in 2018: Risen Apes: Learn to Swim
9. Chris Dupuy
Also widely read by Chris Dupuy in 2018: Thank you, David: A Game, A Moment, A Hero, and Tears
10. Leo Daedalus
Also widely read by Leo Daedalus in 2018: I Am So Offended by This Joke
The following 2018 essays and articles ranked # 11 – 20:
11. Amoja Sumler – At the Table? Or on the Menu?
12. Joseph Edwin Haeger – Book Review: all this can be yours by Isobel O’Hare
13. Corie Skolnick – My Writing Career So Far
14. Stan Gerding – Dear Grandson: My First Car
15. Jacob Meeks – Just Stop Talking (and Tweeting)
16. Briana Loveall – Naming the Beast
17. Paris Portingale – Guns Trump Knives Every Time: A History of Weaponry
19. Joel Gunz – Blood, Sweat & Vinyl: Introduction: Dropping the Needle
20. John Michael – Life Is a Sweet, Tender Bruise X
I also want to acknowledge out partners in Australia who contributed writing to The Big Smoke America throughout the year. Here are the Top 8 most read and shared articles that were republished from articles that first appeared in The Big Smoke Australia.
1. Alexandra Tselios – Facebook Won’t Slow Down, but Can a Regulatory Body Catch Up?
2. Sam Grittner – Thoughts on Addiction from an Addict
3. Loretta Barnard – West Bank Observations in the Company of a Palestinian
4. Caitlin Johnstone – Trump Is Not Another Hitler, He’s Another Obama
5. Mathew Mackie – Taxi Driver: An Examination of Incels
6. Ingeborg van Teeseling – The Women of Today Are Changing Tomorrow—They Should Be Noticed
7. Mellek Steel – As a Black Man, I Don’t Need a Black Superman
8. Jane Caro – Jane Caro Is Outing Outrage
Thank you for your loyal readership. We will continue to shake up and transform America for the better. Please stay tuned, new articles and essays published daily.
If you are interested in writing for The Big Smoke America, please review our guidelines page.