Ta ta, 2020. What a year. The Big Smoke America is now five years old and has published over 2,100 articles and essays. Here are the Top 10 (+20 more) from 2020.
The Big Smoke America launched on November 9th, 2015. We endured that wacky 2016 election cycle and then were stunned when Trump was elected President, albeit, notably as minority President since he did not win the popular vote. And then the next four years happened, culminating in 2020.
Since the end of 2015, we have published over 2,100 articles and essays tackling a range of topics and contributing to a number of debates and discussions. Each year, we review the traffic through both our website and social media and find our most popular articles. The issues discussed heavily in 2020 were everything you might imagine, as the ongoing garbage fire that was 2020 raged along.
Here are the Top 10 most widely read and shared articles in 2020 listed from # 1 – 10.
1. Heather O. Petrocelli
2. Sean Davis
Also widely read by Sean Davis in 2020: Holding Your Breath Until You Turn Orange
3. Josh Hamilton
4. Ramiza Shamoun Koya
5. James Jay Edwards
Also widely read by James Jay Edwards in 2020: Dave Franco Introduces Himself as a Horror Director with The Rental
6. Florencia Orlandoni
7. Emil Morales
Also widely read by Emil Morales in 2020: Our Money or Our Lives—Are Our Leaders Listening?
8. S.M. Park
Also widely read by S.M. Park in 2020: Risen Apes: Hitchin’ a Ride
9. Dian Greenwood
Also widely read by Dian Greenwood in 2020: Alienation: Bringing the Outside In
10. Chris Dupuy
Also widely read by Chris Dupuy in 2020: To Get to the Next Level, You Must Embrace Discomfort
The following 2020 essays and articles ranked # 11 – 30:
11. Nancy Townsley – What My Expectant Daughter and I Talk About When We Walk
12. Joseph Edwin Haeger – Book Review: Life of the Party by Tea Hacic-Vlahovic
13. DeMisty D. Bellinger – To Hope
14. Leo Daedalus – I’ve Had It With You Guys
15. Linda Rand – Pandemic Diaries: Give Space
16. Chad M. Christensen – Boy With Shovel: Percocet, Kidney Stones, and the Old Apache Trail
17. Mike Magnuson – Election Prayer from Wisconsin
18. F.I. Goldhaber – Peaceful Protests
19. George Grundy – Ending the Age of Billionaires
20. John Michael – Life Is a Sweet, Tender Bruise XXVIII
21. Jason Arment – Die for Retail, Sucker
22. Olivia Croom Hammerman – When There’s a Worm in the Big Apple
23. Stephen Hunter – The Lower Depths
24. Liz Scott – Postpartum Publication
26. Pablo Skolnick and Corie Skolnick – Desto3: Postcards from The Middle East: Kuwait
27. Ben Tanzer – The Thing About I May Destroy You, Trauma, and Failure
28. Luke Douglas – Inside Creationist Education
29. Jessica Leibe – How I Finally Started Taking Politics Seriously in My 30s
30. William Gosline – A Visit to the Autonomous Zone
I also want to acknowledge our partners in Australia who contributed writing to The Big Smoke America throughout the year. Here are the Top 10 most read and shared articles that were republished from articles that first appeared in The Big Smoke Australia.
3. Mark Thompson – Broken Home Improvement: Life Lessons From Al Borland
5. Nicholas Harrington – With No Vaccine, This Is How the World Will Navigate the Coming Months
6. Ingeborg van Teeseling – Our Overuse of the Word “Trauma” Weakens It (and Us Too)
7. Trisha De Borchgrave – Coping With COVID
8. Claire Harris – Here I Am, Writing a Hallmark Movie As the World Falls Apart
9. Derryn Hinch – Hinch’s Hunch: Despite the Hype, the Democrats Won’t Back Bernie
10. Jane Caro – Oh, for the Confidence of a Mediocre White Male Vice President
Thank you for your loyal readership. We will continue to shake up and transform America for the better. Please stay tuned, new articles and essays published daily.
If you are interested in writing for The Big Smoke America, please review our guidelines page.